what's your fondest NCIX forum memory?

• Mr. Friendly™ Dec 02, 2017 04:49 PM
  • thinking back, what do you recall with a sentimental fondness?

at this point, for me it would have to be the generosity of my peers and their points donations to help me redeem for the Kanto speakers.

before that, the big NCIX best PC contest. I got 2nd place, next to Linus...he won the PC he submitted. I won DOOM3, which I traded for HL2. my PC was based on a dual socket enthusiast motherboard, and there was a lot of debating on the benefits of having a system that could do 2 threads and take advantage of the multi-threading abilities of Windows XP.

and then the coffee threads. and the funny picture threads. we had one every week for quote some time!

this forum was full (and still is) of great people. the comraderie here is EPIC!!!
  • Blacknight3 Dec 02, 2017 05:49 PM
  • Quote: (Mr. Friendly™ @ Dec 02 2017, 04:49 PM)

this forum was full (and still is) of great people. the comraderie here is EPIC!

No one thing in specific But for the most part the regular forum people are fantastic.

I did like both the Scotch and the beer threads
  • MSNGeeks Dec 02, 2017 05:49 PM
  • Hey Cam!

Remember that NCIX coding contest I won a $500 gift certificate for, with my "NCIX Advanced Product Searcher"?

Good times!

• Mr. Friendly™ Dec 02, 2017 05:50 PM
  • oh, and the day that all the employees at NCIX became known as hamsters!!!
  • 64Bit_Snip3r Dec 02, 2017 06:56 PM
  • The Favicon contest. I won a runner up prize for "trying so damn hard." Also, the time I won an awesome set of OCZ RAM via the Prize Picker
  • ClosetGamer Dec 02, 2017 08:39 PM
  • I don't remember winning a PC, Cam :p

You sure it wasn't someone else?

Edit: err, on topic I still remember meeting FA for the first time and finding out he was going to be my boss.

Getting hired here was one of the most exciting moments of my life and changed its course forever.

This message was modified by the poster at 12 02, 2017 08:41 PM
  • Comploder Dec 02, 2017 08:49 PM
  • 32GB of sweet sweet AMD RP1866 DDR3 1.5v CL 9-9-9-12
  • Cannon Fodder Dec 02, 2017 09:25 PM
  • Redo....

This message was modified by the poster at 12 02, 2017 09:29 PM
  • Cannon Fodder Dec 02, 2017 09:33 PM
  • Quote: (ClosetGamer @ Dec 02 2017, 08:39 PM)

I don't remember winning a PC, Cam :p

Edit: err, on topic I still remember meeting FA for the first time and finding out he was going to be my boss.

Getting hired here was one of the most exciting moments of my life and changed its course forever.

Sheeeit, I'd forgotten you used that name here!

My fondest forum memory? When I started this thread: https://www.ncix.com/forums/?mode=showthread&forum=116&threadid=2179357&pagenumber=2&msgcount=37&subpage=1 which resulted in the video shortly after, where Linus used a.... cough.... knife for his next unboxing! I howled laughing at that one!!!
  • Cannon Fodder Dec 02, 2017 10:08 PM
  • Damn, just found the video too! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnT9G9XTwjg
  • TheGreatGazoo™ Dec 02, 2017 10:56 PM
  • I remember that Linus video. I almost had Pepsi coming out of my nose when he suddenly pulled out that sword. It was so unexpected.

One of my other favorite Youtubers, AvE, uses a old clapped up Bridgeport Milling machine to open up a box to great comedic effect.
  • BokChoy Dec 02, 2017 11:00 PM
  • For me it was probably meeting forum admin while I was on the job z NCIX.
  • justmoe1 Dec 02, 2017 11:01 PM
  • most of my computer related memories vanished when ncix deleted me for no good reason. Since then the coffee threads were my fondest memories.

I was the "phone guy" under my previous tag. fondest memories was the argument with Greg about the best phones of the time. the razr was never the best phone ever made.

i have watched and have been amused by those in the forums being as educated as possible about all things computers but hand them a cell phone they turn into grade school drop  outs.

A lot of my oldest memories are discussions with long gone members who pretty much moved to hardware canucks or just left altogether. not many have filled their shoes since. ex. skymtl is still the most knowledgeable person on power supplies. he has not posted in almost a decade i think.
  • nofrills Dec 03, 2017 12:13 AM
  • Quote: (ClosetGamer z Dec 02 2017, 08:39 PM)

I don't remember winning a PC, Cam :p

This message was modified by the poster at 12 02, 2017 08:41 PM

Well, you were pretty damn raw when we hired you Sunil. 

I think all things considered, you turned out OK. LOL I still don't believe I somehow talked you into quitting school. Either you were gonna make something of yourself or end up painting houses for College Pro the rest of your life.

Good times.

This message was modified by the poster at 12 03, 2017 12:15 AM
  • 64Bit_Snip3r Dec 03, 2017 12:16 AM
  • Quote: (ClosetGamer @ Dec 02 2017, 08:39 PM)

Can we finally know who FA is?
  • nofrills Dec 03, 2017 12:16 AM
  • Quote: (BokChoy @ Dec 02 2017, 11:00 PM)

BokChoy said:
    For me it was probably meeting forum admin while I was on the job z NCIX.

That was super funny. The look on your face. Hope you're doing well...
  • nofrills Dec 03, 2017 12:17 AM
  • Quote: (64Bit_Snip3r @ Dec 03 2017, 12:16 AM)

Can we finally know who FA is?

Moi...
  • CeleronGamer Dec 03, 2017 12:21 AM
  • NCIX was the first internet community I was exposed to, where I tried to learn how to overclock my old Northwood A 2.8 (yes, all 400mhz FSB and 512k cache of fury) to something semi-decent. I remember when FAH was just launched and every directed their CPU benchmark energy towards that. (with death_hawk reigning supreme on the NCIX team leaderboard for a long time.)

Whenever I visit this site, I still fondly think of my Prescott A CPU running 4.0 stable...

Edit: Huh, check that out! The 'My Profile' link still has the machine that I had back when I was frequenting the forums!    :D

This message was modified by the poster at 12 03, 2017 12:37 AM
  • nofrills Dec 03, 2017 12:57 AM
  • For the record, I always felt that the NCIX forums was the heart and soul of the business. At its peak, it was a vibrant community - often hilarious - and gave my team huge insight into what the customers cared about and wanted. I never checked in much in the forums after I left, but I've kept in touch with most of the people (that I liked) from NCIX and we have fond memories of the forums in its heyday. Though I'll say now, it was like running a daycare at times

While NCIX tried to move that heart and soul to LinusTechTips and other video projects, honestly, it was the forums that somehow glued it all together, especially in the early days (and a lesson Linus learned with his awesome forums today).

Thanks to all from way back. Reading through some posts brought back some fond memories, and likely a few not so fond memories. And thanks to the amazing team I had the time (you know who you are, and for those that didn't play ball, you know who you are too exNCIX...) -- you were the best.
  • Greg_R Dec 03, 2017 01:14 AM
  • Hope you are feeling well FA /u/exncix!